Saturday, April 9, 2016

You Are Amazing


Hi everyone,

It’s challenge time with the “Crazies” over on the Crazy 4 Challenges blog. Our challenge hostess for the month Rebecca Ednie, continues to issue the challenges.

This week, lets get brave and try a new technique. Apply any type of paint, embossing or modeling paste or liquid medium (like gel medium or gesso) through a stencil and while you medium is still wet, apply some glitter! Using a wet medium has the happy side effect off keeping more of your lovely glitter in place and far less of it where you don't want it! Try white on white for a lovely tone-on-tone effect or jazz it up with more than one colour of glitter. Use this as a focal or as a background. I can't wait to see your creations!


For my card today I decided to create a Pop Up Card. I used the Pop Up die from the Hot Air Balloons die set designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs. I love that some of the new dies released earlier this year come with optional Pop Up dies which are perfect to pop up your other images/dies you have in your collection.

To decorate my card I have used a couple of elephant stamps from Wild Rose Studio .... yes I do seem to have a collection of elephant stamps as my sister loves elephants, so I tend to buy a few when I see them to use on cards I make for her. The two used on my card today were a couple that I decided to try out scanning and cutting using my Scan N Cut machine my DH gave me for my birthday .... love love love it! Hopefully I won't be having to hand cut as much as I used to :)

As per the challenge, I had to use a stencil and stencil paste and then add glitter which is what I did on the pink panel which was first die cut using the Pull Card Edges die set. I added the glitter as soon as I had finished adding the paste and let it try prior to rubbing off the excess but I found most of it rubbed off. Some did stay on but not as much as I would have liked ... oh well!


Here is another view of my card taken at a different angle so you can see the pop up portion of my card. I also created a pop up box to sit behind the balloons to give the card a bit of stability. 

The sentiments used on the inside of the card both come from W Plus 9.


For the front of my card I tried a different way to apply the paste and glitter. This time round I scooped out some paste from my jar and placed it onto my craft mat and then added some glitter to the paste and mixed the two together and then applied it through the stencil. You can see the glitter a bit better, but for the amount of glitter I used again not as much as I would have liked. Personally if you want glitter on your texture paste I would opt for the products that are designed for this purpose and have glitter in them already. I have a few of those and I love the glittery effect they give. The only reason I didn't use them for this card as the colors I had weren't the colors I wanted to use on my card. Bo Bunny & Viva Decor both have pastes that give a glittery look when they are applied. 


Don't forget to check out the rest of the “Crazies” cards over on the Crazy 4 Challenges blog and also their individual blogs for more details.

Raquel Mason
Rebecca Ednie
Jen Benner 
Teresa Kline  (April Guest Designer)


Stamps: Bunch of Balloons; Bella in Car - Wild Rose Studio; Unforgettable - W Plus 9; Happy Birthday - MFT Stamps
Paper: White; Pink; Birthday Wishes Girl DP - Echo Park
Dies: Hot Air Balloon; Pull Card Edges - designed by Karen Burniston for Elizabeth Craft Designs; Stitched Circles - Elizabeth Craft Designs; Fishtail Flags Stax; File Tab - MFT Stamps
Other: Black Ink; Scan N Cut; Raspberry Viva Modellier Crème; ECD Warm Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter; Foam Tape; Copics

4 comments:

Maryann said...

Love those elephants, what a fantastic way to use the stencilled background, I found that the paste dried quicker that I thought and had to squish the glitter into the paste while the stencil was in place, but you are right it wasn't excactly the look I was after, but it was fun.

CASTOWNE said...

This card is kind of AMAZING, too...just saying! I love everything about it.

Karen Aicken said...

Wow Frances - this is a great card. Great colours, great images, great colouring - love it!

Joanne (jojot) said...

a bright, happy card....love how it shows 'movement'