Saturday, April 18, 2009

Owl The Best!

OCC-Owl-the-Best-wm

Hi everyone!

It is time for another OCC Challenge over on the Our Creative Corner blog. This week Silke challenged the Occ girls to create a card using recycled items to celebrate Earth Day which is on 22nd April.

I had to think about this challenge for sometime and actually kept putting it off and made cards that are on my “To Do” list that were after this particular challenge because I just couldn’t think what to do. Then the technique challenge was posted to SCS on Monday night (well probably Monday morning for you guys who live in the Northern Hemisphere) …. anyway the challenge this week was “Metal Stamping” … using old soda cans for the metal. A light bulb moment … I have soda cans so maybe I could use that … that would be recycling something right!

Of course the next decision was what to actually do …. I thought using a die would be a good place to start so I looked through my pile of sizzix dies which I haven’t used for ages and decided on this tree …. of course it needed an owl so I found this cute Hero Arts one that a friend gave me recently.

After cutting up the coke can I cut out my tree using my die cutting machine and then I used a variety of brown copic markers and airbrushed the color onto my tree. The owl was stamped using black pigment ink and embossed. I had planned on airbrushing the owl too but in the end I left it as is because I didn’t want the owl to look to close to the color of the tree. The sky and grass on the card my tree is mounted on was also airbrushed … masking the moon before airbrushing.

occ-coke-tree-wm

Here is my tree ….. the first one is the tree all finished after airbrushing and the second you can see how the tree was cut from the coke can.

Don't forget to check out the rest of the OCC Designers cards over on the OCC Blog.

Recipe:
Stamps:
Owl – Hero Arts; Sentiment – Clear Dollar Stamps

Paper: White; Black; Baja Breeze & Pacific Point – SU

Other: Black Ink; Circle Punch; Oval Punch; Soda Can; Embossed Zigzag Border Punch; Foam Tape; Copic Airbrush System; Copics


12 comments:

Vicki G said...

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this card!!!!! You and Cindy must have been sharing a bit of a concept wave this week!!! Have a wonderful weekend1

Vicki

Michele Kovack said...

What an awesome idea! This turned out great! Now, my only question is what did you use to cut up the soda can without cutting yourself? Would love to try this!

Silke Ledlow said...

Fabulous idea - Frances!!! I was wondering if anyone would use this WT theme - so glad you did :)!!!

The tree really looks awesome - the entire card is AWESOME!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!! ~S~

Caryl P said...

Wow! First, how you didn't cut yourself many times in the process is amazing, but I love the tree and never would've guessed it was a soda can. Fabulous work!

LorettaL said...

Totally fabulous reuse, Frances!!! I saw that challenge on Monday, but we don't have any cans from pop. I may need to go buy some so I can do this!!!

Cindy Haffner said...

OMG Frances I can't believe that we both made a card with an owl, a moon and a tree!!!!!!!!

What a great idea using a pop can in your die cut machine, I've never tried that, and I'm kinda scared to try. .......I need to buy a pop can. hehe.

Connie M. said...

wow, wow, WOW! Frances that tree is amazing!!!

Joanne (jojot) said...

bold, dramatic, innovative....unique and fabulous

Jenny Gropp said...

TOTALLY cool! This is totally fun and creative! Much better than a brown paper bag, which is all I could think of for the challenge!!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

That tree is amazing Hoots!! WOW!! You're killing me with your airbrush...killing me!!!!!!!

KAT said...

Love that Tree! Make me want to go out and buy the die!!!!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Great card Frances!! I too would LOVE to know how you made that tree without cutting yourself!!

Great job on your card, what a fabulous technique!

Have a wonderful week,
Jennifer :)