Monday, September 3, 2007

A is for Apple!

This card is for the challenge I do with a group of 7 friends on SCS everyone Monday. This week we are all supposed to make an "apple card" in honor of School Month in the USA ...... as it is time for all the kids to go back to school ....... for someone living in Australia this sounds funny as our school year starts the end January. Our cards didn't have to have a back to school theme unless we wanted to as long as we used at least one apple on the card.

As I recently received my new expression cricut machine I decided to play with that to make my card so I created my apple using the new Plantin schoolbook cartridge which also comes with the machine, cut at 2 3/4 inches ..... this is another reason I like this machine amongst other things is the ability it has to cut in 1/4 inch increments as to compared to 1/2 inch with the old machine.

To created this card I used my "My ABC" roller wheel to create the background on the first piece of black card using white ink. I created 3 rows using this wheel which determined the size the first square was going to be. The apple and the letter "A's" were cut out using the plantin schoolbook cartridge and attach to the piece as you can see here. This was then layered to green & red card to match the colors of the apple. I also added white micro brads to the top right corner of this panel ..... I really love this new size of brads and must remember to look for more as I have now run out of my black ones ..... and you will see why next week ;)

The background on the large black card is also a SU rollerwheel ....... the alphabet one again using white ink. I used my spiral punch to create the spiral effect at the top of this layer starting with the middle of the card (I had to cut a small nick in my card so I could start in the middle rather then the end but I wanted the spirals centralised and it wasn't too hard to do this way. This panel is layered onto the folded red card.

The apple panel is layered onto the card at an angle using foam tape ... the "back to school" is from MFT stamps, this verse is just a fraction longer than the normal word window punch so I cut my white card the width I needed and then feed it into the punch to just round the corners after I had stamped the verse.

The little chalk box actually holds 3 tiny pieces of real chalk which I purchased in a kit of school related things by Karen Foster. As my DD is a teacher now ...... I am always on the lookout for interesting school related things as I may need to use it sometime for something special for her ..... I like to be prepared ;) ....... must stem back to my brownie training days!

Recipe: Stamps: My ABC & Alphabet Roller Wheels - Stampin' Up
Paper: Red; Green; White; Black
Other: Black Ink; White Ink; White Micro Brads; Spiral Punch; Word Window Punch; Plantin Schoolbook Cricut Cartridge; Chalk box - Karen Foster



3 comments:

michelle sturgeon said...

OMG, how cute is this! I love it!

Rose Ann said...

Very cute!! Love your little chalk box addition!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Love the chalk look! :)
www.basementstamping.typepad.com